Are you still getting into the groove of 2022? Jump into the right gear, and fast, as we grrr-eet the year of the tiger. Yes, it’s that time of the year again to pick up the chopsticks, and lou the yee sang high in the air.
While celebrations might still be milder and more intimate than those of pre-pandemic celebrations, Chinese New Year (CNY) is about new beginnings and bold new starts. So whether you’re looking for a moderate celebration or a raucous toss with friends, family, or colleagues to welcome a courageous new year, here are some festive selections available for dine-in, takeaway, and delivery.
1. Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur
Available in half or complete portions that can serve up to five or 10 people, respectively, these yee sang sets from Lai Po Heen Restaurant of Mandarin Oriental are topped with premium ingredients that are perfect for the roaring year of 2022.
Toss to prosperity and good fortune with the MO Auspicious Fan Yee Sang. Priced at RM1,000 for a whole portion and filled to the brim with natural abundance the likes of salmon, sea urchin, black truffles, salmon roe, and gold leaf, it is the perfect 10 pax toss for those looking to share the wealth.
Other prosperous sets available include:
- Sea Urchin and Tobiko Yee Sang – RM260+ (half) or RM520+ (full)
- Australian Abalone Yee Sang – RM240+ (half) or RM480+ (full)
- Butterfish, Salmon, Tuna & Chuka Hotate Yee Sang – RM188+ (half) or RM376+ (full)
- Salmon Yee Sang – RM168+ (half) or RM336+ (full)
- Soft-shell Crab Yee Sang – RM168+ (half) or RM336+ (full)
Address: Kuala Lumpur City Centre, 50088 Kuala Lumpur
Contact: +603 2330 8798
2. St. Regis Kuala Lumpur
For the year of the tiger, St. Regis Kuala Lumpur presents a recipe handed down from generation to generation from Puan Sri Sharon Chua’s ancestral kitchen. Made to delight, the finely-chopped and sliced fruits and vegetables accompany assorted nuts, seeds, and sauce. Pick your abundance with a choice of Abalone & Soft Shell Crab, Salmon & Jellyfish, Top Shell & Jelly Fish, or a Vegetarian version and toss your way into a prosperous new year!
The full list of sets available include:
- RM268 for the Abalone & Crispy Soft-Shell Crab Yee Sang (medium) or RM498 (large)
- RM168 for the Salmon & Jelly Fish Yee Sang (medium) or RM298 (large)
- RM168+ for the Top Shell & Jelly Fish Yee Sang or MYR298+ (large)
- RM138+ for the Vegetarian Yee Sang or MYR228+ (large)
Address: No 6 Jalan Stesen Sentral 2, Kuala Lumpur Sentral, 50470 Kuala Lumpur
Contact: +603 2727 1111
3. Sheraton Hotel Petaling Jaya
With a plethora of yee sang selections, including vegetarian, to choose from, you are in for a treat. Not to mention that they are available in two sizes and for delivery and takeaway, from 17 January 2022 onwards. The sets are also available in full and small and large portions to cater to different group sizes. The best part is, you may collect it in as little as two hours after placing your order.
The entire selection available from Sheraton PJ include:
- Fresh Fruit Yee Sang with crispy enoki – RM108 (small) or RM158 (large)
- Fresh Fruit Yee Sang with fresh salmon and black truffles – RM128 (small) or RM238 (large)
- Traditional Yee Sang with deep-fried soft shell crab and fish roe – RM128 (small) or RM228 (large)
- Traditional Yee Sang with smoked salmon – RM148 (small) or RM238 (large)
Address: Lorong Utara C, PJS 52, 46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Contact: +603 7622 8888
4. Pavilion Hotel Kuala Lumpur
This season, Jade Pavilion’s delectable Salmon Yee Sang may steal all the limelight. Adorned with all the usual trimmings and salmon slices, you can also choose additional premium toppings for more prosperity in your annual toss. Add on sliced abalone, soft shell crab, snow pears, hokkigai, and jellyfish flower or shredded fruits to make your lou sang the highlight of the year of the tiger.
Address: 170, Bukit Bintang St, Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
Contact: +6017 206 8805
5. Sofitel Damansara
Looking to stay home and stay safe? Worry not. Wan Chun Ting in Sofitel Damansara delivers every day at varying times while ensuring you don’t have to wait overly long for your feast with only an hour of advance pre-order required. Priced between RM88 and RM288, the Abundance Yee Sang set affords you the luxury to customise as you like.
Options range from vegetarian to abalone enriched:
- Vegetarian Abundance Yee Sang – RM88+ (half) or RM176+ (full)
- Jelly Fish Abundance Yee Sang – RM88+ (half) or RM176+ (full)
- Soft Shell Crab Abundance Yee Sang – RM98+ (half) or RM196+ (full)
- Norwegian Salmon Abundance Yee Sang – RM108+ (half) or RM216+ (full)
- Crispy Fish Skin Abundance Yee Sang – RM108+ (half) or RM206+ (full)
- Scallops with Snow Pear Abundance Yee Sang – RM108+ (half) or RM216+ (full)
Address: No 6 Jalan Damanlela, Bukit Damansara, 50490 Kuala Lumpur
Contact: +603 2720 6648
6. The Fish Bowl
Think straight up thick prosperous cuts of salmon for your yee sang, and you’ll probably think The Fish Bowl. You wouldn’t be wrong, as the poke bowl restaurant in Malaysia is bringing back their annual Prosperous Yee Sang for 2022, keeping with their tradition of fat salmon cubes.
Available in two sizes, small at RM48 (for three to four pax) and large at RM68 (for six to eight pax), the sets are available at all 14 The Fish Bowl outlets, so you know you’ll be well taken care of on the location front.
Order it via GrabFood or DM them on Instagram to pre-order for your grr-and CNY celebrations in 2022.
Contact: +6012 3018 742
7. Tai Thong Group
With delivery services offered throughout Malaysia, Tai Thong Group’s yee sang sets can also be purchased in-person at their kiosk over at the Centre Court of Tropicana Gardens Mall, Petaling Jaya. Available in the form of the vegan-friendly Nutty Yee Sang set (RM53.88), and the family-oriented Premium Yee Sang set (RM108.88), Tai Thong’s offerings include various seeds and nuts, papaya, cucumber, white ginger, red ginger, pickled leek, crackers, and more.
Contact: +603 2720 6648
8. Copper Mansion Group
With sizeable restaurants located in Petaling Jaya, Subang Jaya, and Shah Alam, Copper Mansion rings in the year of the tiger with a yee sang curation fit for even the most discerning vegan. Available for takeaway and dine-ins, the healthy Prosperity Yee Sang is deliberately prepared with fresh greens and fruits.
A literal rainbow on a plate with bright red strawberries, corn, cherry tomato, and ice plant, the set is available in limited quantities only, so be sure to order ahead of time.
Contact: +603 7932 7777